January 13, 2009

Emunah - My thoughts.

I am not trying to introduce a chidush. This has probably a basic Rashi and am showing my ignorance, but here goes.

I noticed in morning davening that Psalm 146 and 147 seemingly have similar thoughts but are actually very different. In 146 we read: "Praiseworthy is he in whose help is the God of Jacob; his hope is in the Lord his God. Who made heaven and earth, the sea and all that is in them, Who keeps truth forever. Who performs justice for the oppressed, Who gives bread to the hungry..." נֹתֵן לֶחֶם לָרְעֵבִים

147 reads: "He gives the animal its food, to the young ravens which call out." In Hebrew there is a "mapik heh" which denotes that the bread is the animal's. נוֹתֵן לִבְהֵמָה לַחְמָהּ Lachmah... her bread.

The lashon is very telling. Hashem gives food to the hungry human being; one who can, or at least should, realize from Whom his food is coming.

The animal is one who assumes that the bread is her's to begin with.

Perhaps Melech David is giving us a message. We can act like the animal and claim that we have is from our own hands: my money, my home, my car. Or we can use the human trait of emunah and realize that all we have was, is and will always be from Hashem's will.

In fact 147 continues (after describing the animal): "He does not delight in the strength of the horse; He does not take pleasure in the legs of man. Hashem takes pleasure in those who fear him, in those who hope in His loving kindness."

I have many friends who have been hit hard by the economic collapse, myself included. It is a daily struggle to remember that I am not in control. I can work hard and give everything 100%, but it is Hashem who runs the world. He not only sustains us weekly, but for evey second.

Klal Yisrael needs to remember that and look to our Father in Heaven. The IDF, Obama's bailout, that vitamin you take in the morning... none can be successsful without the will of Hashem.

Thanks for listening.

1 comment:

Avi said...

Yisrael, betach b'HaShem, ezram u'maginam hu!

Thank you for sharing.