June 28, 2007

Yusuf Islam AKA Cat Stevens on Salmon Rushdie

Despite the fact that the moderator is obnoxious as hell, it does show us where the Peace Train has landed. This is from 1989 but I'm sure not much has changed.

Friends know how painful this is for me. I not only own every Cat Stevens album, but his music was the perfect soundtrack to my becoming chozer b'teshuvah. His music meant so much to me during my junior year in Yerushalayim when I became frum.

While I applaud Cat's religious awakening, I can't help but wonder what exactly drew him toward hatred and Jihad. Could it be that Wahabi Islam is now mainstream Islam? Were there no other spiritual options for him? It is one thing to eschew money, fame, drugs, alcohol and promiscuity... It another to band with those who issue death sentences and support terrorism.

Anyhow, here are some new lyrics for Moonshadow:

Yes, I'm being followed by Homeland Security
Homeland Security
Spying and stalking by Homeland Security
Homeland Security

And if I ever lose my mind...
Crave Jihad all the time.
Yes, if I ever lose my mind
A we e e e e e e e e e e
I won't have to think no more.

Yes, I'm being followed by Homeland Security
Homeland Security
Spying and stalking by Homeland Security
Homeland Security

No comments: