March 12, 2008

S'lach lanu Avinu ki chatanu.

This post is part of my teshuvah process. Recently there has been a ton of machlokes in the shul in which I daven. Last Shabbos the lashon hara was flying from all sides and I found myself getting sucked in. I cannot imagine the damage done to my neshama (chv'sh). I fully understand how awful lashon hara can be and how its effects spread like a virus.

Information was unclear, passions got inflamed and the flood gates of accusations and anger spewed forth. Again, I was caught up in it and I should have just walked away. I have made amends, but the words are still out there hanging like a toxic cloud.

I have decided to try and do tikkun for this by studying Shmiras HaLashon and encouraging others to do so. I found a great blog which lists daily lesson from the Chofetz Chaim's work. Below are other links as well:

Shmiras HaLashon
Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation Shmiras HaLoshon Yomi
The Ten Proper Rules of Speech
Stopping Lashon Hara
A Letter from Rebbitzin Kanievsky
Hilchos Lashon HaRa with illustrations

The time of Redemption is drawing closer. More tsuris, more machlokes, more infighting is infecting us. We need achdus and forgiveness and to up our learning. These will help bring Mashiach. Don't be caught unprepared.

Thanks for listening.

No comments: