December 04, 2005

Admonition of the Kohanim - from this week's Haftara

And now, this commandment is for you, O Kohanim. 2 If you will not hearken, and if you will not take it to heart, to give glory unto My name, says the L-rd of hosts, then will I send the curse upon you, and I will curse your blessings; I curse them, because you do not take it to heart. 3 Behold, I will rebuke the seed for your hurt, and will spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your sacrifices; and you shall be taken away unto it. 4 Know then that I have sent this commandment unto you, that My covenant might be with Levi, says the L-rd of hosts. 5 My covenant was with him of life and peace, and I gave them to him, and of fear, and he feared Me, and was afraid of My name. 6 The law of truth was in his mouth, and unrighteousness was not found in his lips; he walked with Me in peace and uprightness, and did turn many away from iniquity. 7 For the Kohain's lips should keep knowledge, and they should seek the law at his mouth; for he is the messenger of the L-rd of hosts. 8 But you are turned aside out of the way; you have caused many to stumble in the Law; you have corrupted the covenant of Levi, says the L-rd of hosts. 9 Therefore have I also made you contemptible and base before all the people, according as you have not kept My ways, but have had respect of persons in the law.
Malachi Chapter 2

When will the Kohanim of today take this to heart? Where is the Teaching? Where is the Learning? Why are we not devoting ourselves to our birthright and delving into the vast body of knowledge that awaits us regarding Taharos, Karbanos and Kodshim?

Thoughts?

No comments: