May 04, 2006

How to be Holy.

Parshas Achrei Mos-Kedoshim

And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, speak to the entire congregation of the children of Israel, and say to them, you shall be holy, for I, the Lord, your God, am holy.

Though I am not a Chabadnik, I find their Parsha page and translation to be excellent and a must read each and every week.

Find it HERE

This week's Parsha deals with Holiness. Hashem gives us the formula, we need only follow the instructions.

You shall observe My statutes and My ordinances, which a man shall do and live by them. I am the Lord... When you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not fully reap the corner of your field, nor shall you gather the gleanings of your harvest. And you shall not glean your vineyard, nor shall you collect the [fallen] individual grapes of your vineyard; you shall leave them for the poor and the stranger. I am the Lord, your God. You shall not steal. You shall not deny falsely. You shall not lie, one man to his fellow. You shall not swear falsely by My Name, thereby profaning the Name of your God. I am the Lord. You shall not oppress your fellow. You shall not rob. The hired worker's wage shall not remain with you overnight until morning. You shall not curse a deaf person. You shall not place a stumbling block before a blind person, and you shall fear your God. I am the Lord.

This has become a world of self-involvement. There is rising hate, racism, poverty, ethnocentrism and a disregard for our fellow man. We are desensitized to the suffering of others. We shut everyone and everything out. We talk on our cellphones to someone far away but disregard the person standing in front of us. We cut off people on the road so we can get to where we need to be seconds earlier. We look away when the poor and needy ask for help.

Let's try and commit ourselves to being Holy by emulating G-d. Help others, have mercy and strive for truth. It's all laid out in this week's parsha.

No comments: